MANGOS: The King of Fruits
Mangoes taste so good that people forget they are also healthy! In addition to sumptuous tropical flavor, mangoes deliver a host of nutrients and make healthy eating a delightful sensory experience. Listed below are benefits on how the “king of fruits” can help you.
- Prevents Cancer: Research has shown antioxidant compounds in mango fruit have been found to protect against colon, breast, leukemia and prostate cancers. These compounds include quercetin, isoquercitrin, astragalin, fisetin, gallic acid and methylgallat, as well as the abundant enzymes.
- Lowers Cholesterol: The high levels of fiber, pectin and vitamin C help to lower serum cholesterol levels, specifically Low-Density Lipoprotein (the bad stuff).
- Clears the Skin: Can be used both internally and externally for the skin. Mangoes help clear clogged pores and eliminate pimples.
- Improves Eye Health: One cup of sliced mangoes supplies 25 percent of the needed daily value of vitamin A which promotes good eyesight and prevents night blindness and dry eyes.
- Alkalizes the Whole Body: The tartaric acid, malic acid, and a trace of citric acid found in the fruit help to maintain the alkali reserve of the body.
- May Help with Diabetes: Mango leaves help normalize insulin levels in the blood. The traditional home remedies involves boiling leaves in water, soaking through the night and then consuming the filtered decoction in the morning. Mango fruit also has a relatively low glycemic index (41-60) so moderate quantities will not spike your sugar levels.
- Promotes Healthy Sex: Mangoes are a great source of vitamin E. Even though the popular connection between sex drive and vitamin E was originally created by a mistaken generalization on rat studies, further research has shown balanced proper amounts (from whole foods) does help.
- Improves Digestion: Papayas are not the only fruit that contain enzymes for breaking down protein. There are several fruits, including mangoes, which have this healthful quality. The fiber in mangoes also helps digestion and elimination.
- Helps Fight Heat Stroke: Juicing the fruit from green mango and mixing with water and a sweetener helps to cool down the body and prevent harm from overheating. From an ayurvedic (one of the oldest known holistic healing approaches) viewpoint, the reason people often get diuretic and exhausted when visiting equatorial climates is because the strong “sun energy” is burning up your body, particularly the muscles. The kidneys then become overloaded with the toxins from this process.
- Boosts the Immune System: The generous amounts of vitamin C and vitamin A in mangoes, plus 25 different kinds of carotenoids keep your immune system healthy and strong.
- Just a few other points worth noting…
- One cup of mangoes is just 100 calories, so it’s a satisfyingly sweet treat.
- Each serving of mango is fat free, sodium free and cholesterol free.
- Mangoes contain over 20 different vitamins and minerals, helping to make them a superfood.